Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Mardi Gras!!

This month was probably the most interesting yet, mostly because it was Mardi Gras!! This was my first year in New Orleans during Mardi Gras and to say it was fun, is an understatement. I am incredible grateful that our class has gotten to become so close over the year, it only made this unique experience that much better. I never fully quite understood Mardi Gras till the time came and it was everything that it was hyped up to be. I went to most of the parades and it was interesting to see what different parades will throw. I knew there were beads being thrown but there was a bunch of random items that get thrown as well. 

Unfortunately this month, there was a tornado that hit New Orleans and a bunch of the class decided to help out and volunteer. I can’t explain how sad it was to see people having parts of their home ripped out, displaced, and just nothing they can do about it but try to clean up and figure out what is next. I helped out with Red Cross to assess damage in surrounding areas. Luckily, the areas I was assessing was untouched from the tornado but what was surprising to me was the houses that were abandoned because of the damage from Hurricane Katrina. That really shocked me, seeing how many homes were abandoned after that due to hurricane. 


This month, the blocks weren’t too bad, I really enjoyed learning about the reproductive part of this last block because I am interested in becoming an OB/GYN. This was a interesting block also because learning about diabetes was relevant to me because many of my family members have diabetes. It made more worried about them because now I know many of the effects that this disease has on the body. 

February Volunteer hours: 12 hours
Spring Total hours: 12 hours 

No comments:

Post a Comment