Thursday, September 29, 2016

Autumn

September is one of my favorite months because it welcomes Autumn. Autumn is, in my humble opinion, the best time of the year. The transition from sweating heat to biting cold brings about that middle ground where everything feels just right. Although it has been cooling down in New Orleans, its still pretty hot compared to back home. This is fine because it prolongs the frigid winter which I absolutely dread. It is actually part of the reason I choose Tulane, I've never lived in an area where it hardly snows. The change was extremely welcomed.

Volunteering has been more exciting this month! While I have not been able to volunteer as frequently this month due to traveling, studying, etc., I've still learned a lot. Last week, the charge nurse let me do rounds on the patients. I found it exciting and I'll admit I was a little nervous because I was not sure what to expect. The patients were all so kind however some could not talk but that is when their family or their friends stepped in. It was interesting to see more about how the floor operates, I like this floor because they've been so welcoming to me. The dynamic is fun and the nurses and the techs are amazing.

We had our first TBL yesterday and because I had no idea what to expect, I was so stressed. A couple of late nights of studying the autonomic nervous system and I felt comfortable but those nerves of the unknown were still there. The TBL is basically a group activity where we had to figure out what drugs are being given. Now that it is over, I feel so relieved and silly for stressing so much. Stressing paid off because we got all the questions right! That was so satisfying and made me feel more comfortable that I know the material.

That's all for now, talk to you guys in October!

September Volunteer hours: 5.5
Total Volunteer hours: 16.5

No comments:

Post a Comment